While a lot of people are worried about cost, a roof replacement is one of the most important maintenance costs you have on the upkeep of your home. After all, your home keeps your family and your valued items dry and safe; a roof replacement is not something you want to cut costs on because you want good workmanship.
And good workmanship is never thousands of dollars less than everyone else.
But we know cost is a factor, so we never tell you that you need to replace a roof before it’s time. In your free roofing analysis, we’ll be straight about what you need and how much life is left in your existing roof. Then we’ll give you the options.
Roof Replacement Options for Budget-minded Homeowners
Your home is likely your largest investment and because of that, you want to ensure it’s protected from the elements. One of the easiest ways to do that is to keep a good, solid protection on it.
How long a roof lasts depends largely on three things:
- Climate/weather in the Ontario area
- Materials/type of roof
We only have control over the latter two of those items but let’s take a moment to talk about how they affect your roof.
Ontario Weather and Your Roof
Ontario isn’t balmy. We get our fair share of winds and precipitation. We also have snows that sit for months. According to Money magazine, “Climate and weather conditions, such as snow, …can cut the life span of all types of roofs.”
That’s because as the snows melt, the water can enter your home if your roof is older or damaged. While you can patch it, there comes a time in the life of your roof where patching no longer protects your investment.
Let’s be honest with one another. When was the last time you cleaned your gutters? If you let fall come and go without doing it and then you ride right into winter, you’re going to get ice and leaf damming in your gutter system and that means water and potential leakage.
Let’s not even talk about our wind events. Our weather can be beautiful but it’s also extremely hard on roofs.
Quality Roofing Materials
The type of roof you have and the quality of the materials affect your roof’s ability to withstand storms, precipitation and accumulation, wear and tear, and strong winds. Most roofs come with a manufacturer’s warranty on materials that’s why it’s important to buy them from a reputable company.
But at Perfect Pitch Roofing, we go above that. We guarantee the workmanship for ten years. There aren’t a lot of roof replacement companies that do that.
While the average roof should last you at least 15 years (hopefully more), if you notice shingles in your yard or can see curled or missing shingles, it’s time to call a roofing professional to assess the condition of your roof.
Roofing and Workmanship
Another component of a quality roof that is within your control is the person you hire to install it. Quality workmanship is of the utmost importance to the warranty.
A warranty can be voided if the product was not properly installed. Select a professional roofing company that works with high-quality materials and knows how to install them.
Homeowners are often surprised that many roofing issues are actually caused by sub-par installs. Sadly, that’s something that can be avoided.
7 Signs You (Could) Need a New Roof
The only way to know if you need a full roof replacement—and not a repair—is to conduct a professional roof assessment. You’ll need a roofing company for that but here are a few ways to know that it’s time to call someone in to take a look at your roof:
- Your roof is over ten years old. The Ontario climate puts our roofs to work. If your roof is over a decade old, it’s time to evaluate it. That doesn’t mean it will need to be replaced. It’s just time to give it a once over.
- Shingles in your yard. These roofing components don’t materialize from nothing. If they’re in your yard, they probably came off your roof, leaving a gap in your roofing protection. Since Ontario’s known for its wind, you want to keep an eye on your yard. Don’t wait until you see a leak.
- You can see curling and popped up shingles from the ground. Good protection lies flat. If you see something sticking up in a direction no other shingles are going, you could be at a risk for leaks.
- You have a tree or some other item scraping at your roof. While this doesn’t likely mean you need a repair, it could mean it’s caused a loss of coverage or a moist area. The roofing assessment is best left to a roofing professional to figure it out.
- There’s a visible leak in your home and water is entering it.
- You see a discoloration on the wood in your attic.
- Your roof accessories/elements are pulled away, dented or otherwise impaired. It’s not only your shingles that can pose a problem. The fascia, vents, and gutters can indicate roofing problems as well. While a full roof replacement may not be needed, roofing elements that are impaired can cause unknown leaks that contribute to hidden damage.
The Danger of What You Don’t Know About Your Roof
Sometimes it’s fortunate to spring a leak. It forces you to address an issue (your aging roof) and get it evaluated. Some leaks are also easy patches.
The true danger lies in the leaks you don’t know about. Leaks that allow water to flow down a roofing joist can be causing problems without you seeing the actual damage. Extensive issues in your attic can be occurring long before the water enters your living space.
Periodic assessments are the only way to ensure your home isn’t undergoing slow damage to its structural integrity.
No one wants to spend money on a new roof. We get it.
Putting it off too long and not getting your home’s roof checked periodically can lead to costly repairs that needn’t have happened. Just as you get your car serviced before you have an issue, it’s good practice in the Ontario area to have your roof assessed periodically.
When leaks occur, they don’t fix themselves. And unless the water leak is coming into your living space you may be unaware of it. A licensed roofing specialist can assess areas you don’t normally check, like your attic, for signs of water damage.
Left unchecked a leak can begin to weaken supports and create mould issues.
No one wants that either.
Perfect Pitch Roofing and Exteriors: What We Give You That the Others Don’t
Every Perfect Pitch roof comes with a 10-year warranty on workmanship, something most other companies don’t do. They rely on a manufacturer’s warranty of the materials. But if they didn’t install them correctly in the first place, that warranty isn’t worth the paper it was written on.
We do so much more than just offer a piece of paper. In years one, two, and five, our quality manager goes out and does a roof inspection. He ensures that everything is still in good order and that the roof and labour quality will continue for the duration of the warranty.
If you’re a London or St Thomas area homeowner and need to consider roof replacement near me, give yourself peace of mind and call us today at 519-200-6063 for your free roof evaluation/inspection.